Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Small World

I turned on the TV to check the weather for tomorrow and caught the tail end of a story on the national news- a new Republican is in the race for the Presidential nomination- Jon Huntsman. The name sounded somewhat familiar, so I listened for a bit. He is a former Governor of Utah, and Ambassador to China.

Nope, not why I know the name.

I think I taught a boy named Jon Huntsman. I've taught well over 1000 kids, but I have an uncanny ability when it comes to names.

Yes, I taught a Jon Huntsman. His dad was an Ambassador, and I thought it was to somewhere in Asia (turns out it was to Singapore). He had recently gotten a baby sister from China. As I thought about it I remembered more and more about the young man I last had last seen as a 5th grader in 2001-2002 when I taught at an elementary school in the posh suburbs of Washington, D.C.

I went and found my yearbook, just to be sure.

Yep. Jon is Jon III. And his dad is running for the Presidential nomination.

He was a really great kid (who is now at the Naval Academy). From a neat family.

It's a small world.

Article about the Huntsman's adoption of Gracie Mei

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. SO wild!!

    We just visited our Nation's Capital and got a tour by a Chinese girl who lived in California, but was going to college in IOWA (where we live) Speaking of small worlds.

    ReplyDelete