Monday, February 28, 2011

Out on the ice

I had an opportunity to dig my ice skates out of the garage Sunday for the first time since 1999. I own a pair only because I worked at a small outdoor rink in a trendy shopping area during my winter breaks in college and on the rare occasions they needed me to act like I knew what I was doing and be a skate guard I felt really silly wearing the bright blue rental skates. But truth is I had no idea what I am doing and even less now.

Piper was invited to an ice skating birthday party. It's really not something folks do here in Virginia. She was so excited. I was too, albeit a bit nervous.



Piper did one lap holding onto the buckets. I paused at the side to dig out my camera, lost my footing and with camera in hand fell flat on my backside. Ouch! I'm still feelin' it today. I promptly made it to the hockey box area and camped out. Piper and her dare devil friends ditched the buckets and took off. She was a bit cautious, but did amazingly well. Some of the other girls- good golly! They were flying and falling all over the place. No fear.




Piper can't wait to go back. Me, not so much.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Oh my how cool! It's a good thing Brayden isn't into girls yet or I'd have to hide this post! He was already admiring Piper's drawing ability of hockey players (last year's drawing that came with the little stick man)--to see your beautiful daughter on skates too might just get him to like girls. Maybe I will hide this post for a few years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Not me, for sure :) Way to go, Piper!

    ReplyDelete